My gramama Mammy use to cook these deelishes fried pies up when I was a young’en. Hell, ain’t nothin’ she couldn’t whip up in that iron skillet of hers. These fried apple pies are so good, they’ll have folk runnin’ across the holler to gobble’em down before they even git the chance to hit a cool breeze!
– 30 minutes to whip up, a little longer after a beer or three
– Serves a mess of ya
Ingredients and such:
The Dough: Make up yer favorite pie dough recipe. If ya ain’t got one, ya can do this here:
Put 2 cups of sifted flour in yer mixin’ bowl. Cut in a ½ cup of butter and a ¼ tsp of salt (less salt if yer butter is salted). Add in about 6 Tbsp of ice water, or just enough fer ya to work it up into a stiff dough. Once ya done it, work with half the dough at a time. Roll out to about ¼ inch thickness or less. Cut the dough into squares, oh, just about 4 inches on each side. Then ya can set’em aside whileya fix up fillin’.
The Fillin’ & Fixin’:
What ya need–
– 4-5 large Granny Smith apples
– ½ stick of butter
– ½ cup loosely packed light brown sugar
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– dash of allspice
– powdered sugar
What ya do: The Fillin’:
Peel and core apples and cut into small pieces about as thick as yer finger (less if yer fingers are fat). Melt butter in a heavy skillet on medium high heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add apples to the mixture, stir to coat well and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until apples are fork tender but remain in wedges.
– Place about a tablespoon or two of apples on one side of each of yer pastry squares
– Fold each pie into a triangle. Lightly dampen the edges with ice water and use a fork to press and seal the edges together.
– Prick each side of each pie with a fork 2-3 times.
Now in another skillet or clean out the other one,, place 1½ cups oil and bring to temperature on medium high heat. And don’t be afraid to throw in good spoon of bacon grease!
– Fry the pies in the hot oil until brown on each side.
– Drain well on a paper towel and sprinkle tops with powdered sugar while pies are still hot.
– Lock the doors ‘cuz if ya don’t, the folks are gonna be bustin’ in to throw all this beautiful babies down their neck!